BALTIMORE, Md. –
CSU is playing host to the Charm City Classic Presented by THB Bagels & Deli this weekend in the PEC Arena. This will be the first time the Eagles will get to play in front of the home crowd after 14 consecutive road/neutral site games to start the season. They will begin with North Carolina Central and South Carolina State on Friday, before taking on North Carolina A&T Saturday afternoon.
What You Need to Know
Scouting the North Carolina Central Eagles
- Setter Brianna Lang recorded her first career double-double in the Eagles last game versus George Washington, finishing with 27 assists while tallying a team-high 12 digs.
- Lang is representing the Lady Eagles on the MEAC leaderboard, as she resides in third place with 353 total assists so far.
- Asia Stennis paces CSU with 128 kills on the year, while sharing the service aces lead with Rebekka Hauri (12).
- Coppin's blocks leader is Christa Johnson (29) with Jordan Celestine posting 24 in second.
- Freshman Libero Chelsie Kolibar has come on strong as of late, perching atop the Coppin leaderboard with 116 digs this year.
Scouting the South Carolina State Bulldogs
- NCCU is coming into Friday's match having not played since September 8, due to postponements and cancellations due to Hurricane Florence. They currently are on a five-game losing streak.
- North Carolina Central places in the top 50 in the country in blocks per set (2.57) and digs per set (16.57), which is currently leading all MEAC schools.
- Last year's team MVP Whitney White has been throwing a block party for the Eagles early on, as she is first in the conference in blocks per set (1.22).
- Brazilian born Erika Ianovale paces the Eagles with 4.40 digs per set, good enough for third in the MEAC.
Scouting the North Carolina A&T Aggies
- SC State has yet to record a victory in eight tries in 2018 and will host The Citadel tonight in its first match since September 8.
- The Bulldogs have an ace in the hole with sophomore Alexus Holt, who is currently fifth in the conference with 0.42 aces per set. She also leads the team in kills per set (2.46) and digs per set (2.73).
- T'Meyah Burgess is the top assister for SC State averaging 3.38 assists per set.
- Dashanique Peterson leads South Carolina State with 13 total blocks in eight matches.
- North Carolina A&T has thrived against fellow HBCUs this season, as all three of its wins have come against SWAC opponents. It comes in losing its previous six contests.
- The Aggies are atop the MEAC in opponents hitting percentage (.166), while currently second in the league with 35.25 attacks per set.
- NC A&T has a potential stud in Puerto Rican freshman Andrea Laboy-Rivera, as she has been a consistent presence atop the MEAC with 4.64 digs per set.
- Lily Walton and Courteney Pitt rank sixth in the MEAC in attacks per set (9.64) and blocks per set (0.93), respectively.